Rachel Sheinbein is a Venture Partner at Lemnos and an active angel investor in companies such as Pepperlane, Ketos, Ellevest, Picnic Health, Goldieblox, Social Imprints, Aspiration, Thrive Natural Care, Wellset, Scan (acquired) and PV Evolution Labs (acquired). Before Lemnos, she was the Co-Founder and Managing Director of Makeda Capital which focused on investing in public companies with female CEOs. Before she launched Makeda, she was a Partner at CMEA Capital, a venture capital firm with more than $1.2 billion under management, investing in Clean Technology. She was formerly a board member for Arcadia Biosciences (public) and Solaria. Before CMEA, Rachel was a consultant for start-ups in the areas of bio-plastics, solar and water. For nine years prior, Ms. Sheinbein worked at Intel, in wastewater systems, environmental health & safety, and supply chain IT. Rachel is President of the board of Challenge Day. Rachel was the President of the board of Expanding Your Horizons Network, a non-profit that encourages girls in math, science, engineering and technology which is now under the leadership of Techbridge Girls. She holds a Chemical Engineering degree with a concentration in Environmental Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania. Rachel was also a sponsored fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) where she received an MBA and a Masters in Civil and Environmental Engineering, with a focus on operations and supply chain.
If you really knew me, you would know…
- My grandma, who died when she was 99, was a wonderful role-model for me and in every conversation and letter she would end with “Love is the Word.” We held our wedding in her home city when she was almost 99, as she was our most important guest. She would definitely understand the basis of love as the key in the work of Challenge Day.
- When my sister and her family moved to San Francisco after 15 years of living on opposite coasts, I felt incredibly lucky. And, then I decided we weren’t close enough! We now live 2 blocks away from each other (my grandma and her sister lived across the street from each other for many years), and I completely adore her 3 kids.
- I’m one of 4 siblings and we own a house together and still enjoy family vacations. (Testament to my parents)
- My dad died when I was 18. My mom lost her best friend at a young age, and we all lost a terrific cheerleader in our lives.
- Getting married to a wonderful partner has been the biggest opportunity for living a life with a more full and expanded version of myself. I love walking this journey with my husband Joe.
- Compassion and love towards myself has been a real challenge, but every time I see the often non-obvious benefit of how having a more open heart towards myself helps me to love others more, I continue down that path. I know Challenge Day helps me with this as well as so many others.